（1） The competition proposition is released by
Li-Ning (China) Sports Goods Co. Ltd.
The competition proposition of “Consumer Product Upgrade —sports shoes” of the “2019 Global Additive Manufacturing Application Innovation Competition¹” was released by Li-Ning (China) Sports Goods Co. Ltd. This competition is aimed at using 3D printing technology to customize midsoles of sports shoes and optimize the lattice structure functional module through 3D printing. We hope to enhance the innovative application of 3D printing in midsole manufacturing of sports shoes by comprehensively integrating design, materials and techniques amongst other aspects based on additive manufacturing.
（3） Objectives of the competition (contents for entry collection)
Direction one: Use 3D printing to produce midsoles to achieve the customization of sports shoes
Use digital technologies such as 3D printing, digital design, and 3D scanning to realize digitalization from the design stages to producing the final product; in order to make them become the next-generation of midsole manufacturing technologies.
Direction two: Use 3D printing to optimize the lattice structure functional module
1. Specifications of the cuboid: length: 160mm, width: 80mm, height: 20mm;
2. The participating teams or individuals need to realize automatic filling of different lattices in the specified cuboid (as shown above) according to parameterized settings. At least two forms of lattices need to be used whilst ensuring junctions between different forms of lattices look smooth and natural;
3. The structural strength of different sections of the cuboid should be adjustable according to the different functional requirements.
（4） Evaluation criteria
Direction one: Use 3D printing to produce midsoles so as to customize sports shoes: the prerequisite for the sports shoes is that they should offer basic sports functions; the theme of the design is lightweighting; the designed products should be potentially marketable.
Direction two: Use 3D printing to optimize the lattice structure functional module: the prerequisite for the lattice structure is that it should have basic sports functions; the lattice structure should have the best possible performance in lightweighting, flexibility and shock absorption; the designed products should be potentially marketable.
（5） Submission requirements for entries
A. Materials to be submitted for initial evaluation:
Description and renderings of the overall design solution (including but not limited to: 1. description of the design plan, 2. renderings, etc.)
Complete 3D printing solution (including but not limited to: 1. three-dimensional digital models, 2. generative design solution, etc.)
Materials usage description
Analysis of aided implementation of 3D printing structures (drawings of structure optimization design)
B. Materials that participating teams are required to submit for the second-round evaluation:
Complete 3D printed model of the entry
（6） Competition dates
Registration for the competition starts on: June 10th, 2019
Deadline for submitting entries: September 30th, 2019
（7） Qualified contestants
Teachers and students of colleges and universities from home and abroad, scientific research institutions, design studios, individual designers, 3D printing related companies, etc.
We encourage and hope participating teams are formed by members of different professions. The organizing committee can also assist participating teams/persons to find members of appropriate professions or provide 3D printing relevant technical support (if needed).
（8） Entry collection events
The first event: date: June 19th; co-organizer: Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology; theme: three-dimensional digital design and manufacturing, cross-field creative ideas; activities: speeches by outstanding guests, and entry collection for the competition;
The second event: date: June 26th; co-organizers: Tsinghua University's School of Architecture and Academy of Arts & Design, Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture's School of Architecture and Urban Planning, etc.; theme: three-dimensional digital design and manufacturing, cross-field creative ideas; activities: speeches by outstanding guests, and entry collection for the competition;
The third event: date: July 8th; co-organizers: Central Academy of Fine Arts’ School of Architecture and School of Design, Beijing University of Technology’s College of Architecture and Planning, etc.; theme: three-dimensional digital design and manufacturing, cross-field creative ideas; activities: speeches by outstanding guests, and entry collection for the competition;
The fourth event: date: August; co-organizers: Digital Architecture Design Association (DADA); theme: three-dimensional digital design and manufacturing, cross-field creative ideas; activities: presentations of creative ideas, speeches by outstanding guests, and entry collection for the competition;
The fifth event: date: September 5th; Activity: workshop: participating teams or individuals of the second-round competition would further accomplish their design solution and make the 3D printing objects with the assistance and guidance of Li-Ning (China) Sports Goods Co. Ltd. and technical companies. It is expected that roughly 5-8 teams for each section would participate in this event.
（9） Competition evaluation process
1. The expert panel and the party who released the proposition would provide professional guidance for the competition theme and task description, as well as determine the evaluation critieria so as to ensure practicability and verifiability of the entries. The expert panel consists of 5-7 members. The Expert Workshop of “Consumer Product Upgrade — Sports Shoes” of the competition “2019 Global Additive Manufacturing Application Innovation Competition” will be held on June 17th;
2. We would collect entries by releasing information online (Weibo, Hupu, YOHO, LKK...) and offline (entry collection events). We will have activities or events targeting at both the public and specific groups of people. We hope to collect entries mainly from industrial designers, enterprises, engineers, 3D printing companies, and scientific research institutions. Technical support for the competition will provide technical packages for reference and suppport;
3. The procedure of evaluation consists of two steps; initial evaluation and the second-round evaluation (presentation included).
Direction one: participating teams or individuals in the initial round of the competition need to submit design plans and complete design descriptions for the initial evaluation. The panel will select 8-10 teams to compete in the second-round of the competition;
The procedure of the second-round competition includes presentation (65% of the score) and public evaluation (35% of the score). Li-Ning (China) Sports Goods Co. Ltd. and 3D printing companies would cooperate to make sample sports shoes. Li-Ning would provide standardized molded insteps and contestants will be able to change the color of it. Li-Ning would also provide unified guidance for all of the contestants. The final printed sports shoes would be used for evaluation.
Direction two: participating teams or individuals in the initial round of the competition need to submit design plans and complete design descriptions for the initial evaluation. The panel will select 8-10 teams to compete in the second round;
In the second round of the competition, contestants need to give a presentation of their project to be evaluated. Li-Ning will provide unified guidance for all of the contestants and the judges of the final evaluation panel would select the most excellent design solution according to the criteria of the final evaluation.
4. The top three prize-winning entries would be recommened to join the competition of the Red Dot Concept Design Awards. The organizing committee and Li-Ning will make endorsements for them.
（10） Competition rewards process
The prizes will be selected by rank from 1st, to 3rd for each direction: 1st prize: 30,000 yuan; 2nd prize: 20,000 yuan; 3rd prize: 10,000 yuan
The prizes will be selected by rank from 4th to 10th for each direction: Li-Ning will provide related products from Fashion Week as awards for these prize-winning teams/individuals;
The top three prize-winning entries would be recommened to join the competition of the Red Dot Concept Design Awards. The organizing committee and Li-Ning will make endorsements for them.
（11） Ways to apply for the competition
1. Please visit the official website: http://2019.weichuang3d.com/gamia2019, click “Register” to begin the online registration process and submit the required materials;
2. You can also directly contact our consultants and send the registration information and materials of the entries by email to the designated contact person of the organizing committee.
Genie Lin: (E) email@example.com; (M) +86 18310791019
Fiona Tao: (E) firstname.lastname@example.org; (M) +86 13611145649